A lens that has a focal length of 24 to 35mm are considered wide angle. Nowadays you can find great lenses that have a focal length under 24mm. These are considered as being ultra wide.
Important considerations for choosing a landscape lens
- You will need a lens that isn’t too large and heavy to carry.
- You don’t necessarily need an expensive fast lens. Look on the lens packaging box, if the f number is 4 and above then it will be efficient for landscape photography.
- Finding a lens with Image stabilization is often a good idea. Image stabilization can mean the difference between getting a sharp or blurred shot. This is especially important if you will be hand holding your DSLR camera.
- If you are going to purchase only one landscape lens, then make it a wide angle lens. One of the advantages of these lenses, is that they have a wider view of the scenery. Meaning, when you take the photograph you will be getting more of the landscape scenery into each shot.
Recommended landscape lenses for Nikon digital SLR (DSLR) camera’s
Listed below are the one’s considered as being the best Canon and Nikon landscape lenses. It’s important that you also check to make sure the lens you choose is compatible with your digitial SLR model.
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX (ultra wide angle zoom lens)
This is the one to get if your after a quality landscape Nikon lens. It is currently priced at $745 USD, which is what you would expect to pay for a quality lens. Excellent range from 18mm ultra wide, zooming all the way to 200mm. Amateur photographers won’t be changing their lenses too often if they own this one. It truely is an all purpose lens.
- Nikon 18mm – 70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX (ultra wide angle zoom lens)
Currently selling for $250 this is also a good all purpose lens, going from 18mm at its widest focal length to 70mm at the other end of the scale. The images won’t be as sharp as those taken with the lens listed above, however it is priced well for the budget photographer or those just starting out. Note: If you recieved a kit lens with your Nikon D40, you won’t notice much difference between this one and the lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S) that came packaged with your camera.
- Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor Lens (ultra wide angle zoom lens)
You can purchase this one for only a few dollars more at $294 USD. The advantage being the extra focal length at the normal end of the scale being 135mm. Reviews seem to be mixed on this one. Some like it, some don’t.
Recommended landscape lenses for Canon digital SLR camera’s
- Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (ultra wide angle zoom lens)
This is a good all purpose lens that goes from ultra wide 17mm, all the way to a normal focal length of 85mm. It’s also not too large and heavy to carry and is priced around $520 USD at the time of writing this article. Another advantage is its image stabilization system that makes taking hand-held shots easier. Fantastic for those photographers who are just starting out and don’t want to spend a fortune, yet still need good quality photographs. You’ll notice many landscape photo’s found throughout this website are taken with Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens.
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM (wide angle zoom lens)
This landscape lens is for Canons more professional end of the market. It also goes from one wide angle extreme (24mm) to a higher 105mm focal length. It’s currently priced at $1046 USD. Similar to the one above, it also has the option of image stabilization.
- Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM (ultra wide angle zoom lens)
One of Canon’s best selling lens due to it’s low cost, considering it’s high quality. If you see a Canon lens with a red circle around the tip, you know it’s considered better quality (sharper images) than those without the ring. This one is currently priced at $674 USD. However, you do need to take into consideration that this particular wide angle lens doesn’t zoom in as far (40 mm) as the other two listed above.
Am going to buy the 18:200 nikkor. the first picture above, a standard must have. And soon the 12:24 which is Ultrawide.